Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 1: Moshi

So I decided to go ahead with the blog hoping that it will make my ability to keep in touch seem much better than it actually is. I’m sorry if it bores you, and I am sorry if it isn’t updated often…although in theory I should have plenty of time at night to write on my laptop, as dinner is served between 6:30 and 7:00 here at the hostel, and people rarely leave after dark.

Maura and I left Dublin at 6:00 on Tuesday morning, and flew to Amsterdam where what we thought was a 3 hour layover was actually only two. Between neither of us having more than 20 minutes of sleep in the previous 24 hours, and the time change in Amsterdam, we found ourselves waking from a nap in the airport Starbucks to the sound of our names being called over the loud speaker. Good news—we made it.

Eight hours later and three hours ahead of Ireland, (nine ahead of home), we arrived in Tanzania. Denis from our hostel came to collect us, and the 40 minute taxi drive to Moshi went by so quickly. The night temperature was nice, so the un-air-conditioned car was quite alright, and even though the moon wasn’t out and Mt. Kilimanjaro wasn’t visible, I assure you I have never seen stars quite like the ones over our car.

Day one is now fully complete, and I am exhausted. The heat in the day is really no different than that of Missouri in July, and we are staying in a tent in the backyard of Hostel Hoff, (fully equipped with electricity and beds you know), so we are lucky enough to catch any breeze that blows our way. Today was just a quick briefing of the “city,” with a bit of time to explore, and nap in the afternoon. Tomorrow I visit my first placement option, one with kids from ages 2-9 years, and I really do not know much past that.

That is all for now, as I am going to attempt to head to bed early to be somewhat more functional tomorrow. Miss everyone… Usiku mwema.

6 comments:

  1. Hello From Bolivar! Melissa just sent your blogspot! This is fantastic!! We have been listening to a song called "Kum Ba Ya" and thinking of you. Well your journey begins girl!
    Take Good Care and Be Careful!
    Much Love, Aunt Sheila & Uncle Jim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting adventure. Hope you are getting adjusted to the time changes and climate. Most importantly hope that you enjoy every moment of this trip. Can't wait to hear more!!

    Lindley and St. Louis Jamess Gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a test if I properly set up my ID so I can comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. The test worked....I am so pumped. My mom and I are both on the phone talking eachother through this, I think I need to get a life....ps because it is friday night! Well I am glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie - Hope your having fun can't wait to see you again.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really funny because it looks like my dad said it....okay I am done now

    ReplyDelete